Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Marathi

We’ve been seeing this major ‘Marathi’ campaign over the past few weeks. Actually, the past few years, but it has intensified over the past few weeks.

I may disagree with the means, but I am in complete agreement with this theory of being able to speak Marathi. Absolutely right!

After all, I firmly believe that you should know the language of the state you live in. Every Keralite speaks Malayalam, every Bengali speaks Bangla, every Andhraite (at least till now) speaks Telugu and so on.

And yet, every time I converse with someone in Marathi, there is a sense of disbelief, bewilderment, amazement, wonder etc.

I am besieged with questions like “How can you speak Marathi so well?”, “Where did you learn to speak such good Marathi?” and the best one – “Aadnaav Kaay?

This question – I believe – is unique to this part of the Deccan – Mumbai, Pune, Thane and Ahmednagar - “Aadnaav Kaay?” (What’s your surname?)

How does it make a difference? No one every asks a Abdul Rehman Pookutty his surname, no one asks a Akbar Patel or a Ghani Choudhury his surname, but come to our part of the world and speak Marathi, and sure enough, “Aadnaav Kaay?

Konkani Muslims speak mainly in Konkani, and no one asks this question in Raigad or Satara, but come up North and speak Marathi, and it will crop up!

Aadnaav Kaay?

Why, oh why? Will someone explain? I mean, you want people to speak in Marathi, and then ask him for his surname if he does so.

I digress.

Let’s come back. There are two issues.

The first one is – Why can’t I speak Marathi? Just because my name is Khan? It would have been okay if it was Khanvilkar, but since it is Khan, it has to be accompanied by wonder and disbelief. Why?

And the second - “Aadnaav Kaay?” Why do we have to ask this question and bracket people? This is not a religious thing – it is about caste equations! And is it that important! Can’t people avoid this question? Not with me – just avoid it, okay?

I guess I’m only venting my spleen. And everywhere I go, this will continue. So, let’s grin and bear it.

Hey, I also speak Hindi, English and Urdu as well – probably better. Will someone get amazed at that too? :-)

1 comment:

  1. My very big regret in life...believe it or not....my inability to speak Marathi....it's here living in a very Global and Cosmopolitan Dubai, you realise how much does your mother language mean to different people of the world....It's not only the Mallus,all people from all over the globe like to converse in their own regional language. I was ushured into the office of the Head of Dubai Municipality (which is a very very big position here)and served Tea and Delicacies...just because my companion a "Greek" Resident Engineer, spoke in basic Arabic, while trying to get an appointment with a Junior Engineer. Needless to say, the Junior Engineer is still at our services whenever we need him.

    ReplyDelete